Thursday, September 16, 2010
In an issue full of spectacular music interviews, our sit down with Avan Lava was lot of fun. The NYC band has recently released its debut album Vapors, made entirely with borrowed equipment and recorded in a church basement. Actually, we think the Avan Lava album would sound great played in a cathedral. While you could blandly categorize the album as electro-pop, Avan Lava plays their style of it with more soul and ambiant grandeur than most. Here's a few questions that didn't make it into the magazine, but you can check it out here to get a little taste.
Jettison: Of course, we know what kind of music you specialize in, but would you care to make a few playlists for Jettison, on of Doo-wop and Soul music, and another one of Country-Western songs?
Le Chev: These are just Doo-Wop –
- Billy Ward & The Dominoes - Sixty Minute Man
- The Chiffons - He's So Fine
- The Monotones - You Never Loved Me
- The Penguins - Hey Senorita
- The Temptations - Paradise
- Dolly Parton – Jolene
- Patsy Cline - Walkin after midnight
- Bill Monroe - Blue Moon of Kentucky (Elvis Presley Version)
- Kris Kristofferson - Sunday Morning Comin' Down
- The Rolling Stones - Wild Horses
Jettison: Best karaoke song?
LC: Rock The Casbah – The Clash.
Jettison: What music genre could you live without?
Jettison: Favorite Prince song?
LC: Diamonds and Pearls
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Get those rocket pack out again its time for another blast off! Join us in celebrating the 2010 Fall Issue this coming Friday at Bottom Lounge. This time around we have an ART filled issue with a lot of exciting interviews! We have Jason Lazarus, Aspen Mays, Theaster Gates, A profile of artist residencies ACRE and Harold Arts, a look into Manny's deli in the south loop, a critique on the State of the Art in Chicago, we high five Pete Toalson and much much more!!!
So join us in welcoming the new issue and party with friends at:
1375 W. Lake St.
9PM - 2AM
Issue goes online Friday September 17th at Midnight!
Make sure to check it out at JettisonQuarterly.com
Subscription is free so join the Jett Team if you've yet to jump on board.
Top Five Indicators That Fall is here in Chicago:
- An easing of the compulsion to do everything (!) outside, ‘while it lasts’
- September show openings, ushering in the fall arts season
- The arrival of Chicago Bears season tickets
- The Adventures in Modern Music festival
Top Five Places to Buy (Cheap) Kids Clothes, That Fit Adults, In Order:
- Farm & Fleet
- JC Penny
Top Five Versions of the Gospel Standard Trouble in My Way, in Order:
- Mary Moore, Como Now
- Swan Silvertones, Singin’ In My Soul
- Dixie Hummingbirds Jesus Has Traveled This Road Before
- Naomi Shelton & The Gospel Queens, What Have You Done My Brother?
- Vermillion Sands, In The Wood (Okay, not one of the best but I like that they tried it!)